M=Meditation + Y=Yoga = a step-by-step, user friendly PRACTICE that makes experiencing the benefits of meditation & yoga achievable for everyone, through coaching YOU to be your wisest, best teacher.
MY PRACTICE is a comprehensive system drawn from 20+ years of education and experience. I’ve extracted seven techniques from studying many styles of meditation, yoga, personal development and positive psychology. These techniques have proven most effective at experiencing the many proven benefits of meditation and yoga. The MY PRACTICE sequence is simple, efficient, and achieves goals in a shorter period of time.
Whether you practice for five minutes or one hour each day, MY PRACTICE will transform the way you live. You’ll develop tools to train the mind—so that you can experience greater balance and joy in your life.
Meditation progress is measured by how genuinely happy you are, whether or not your relationships are improving, as a result of improving your relationship with yourself, and by the goals that you can set and achieve.
- Reduced Stress through training ourselves to slow down reactions and reduce triggering of the nervous system
- As a result of reduced stress, the immune system is boosted as inflammation decreases
- Promotes heart health
- Controls Anxiety
- Promotes Emotional Health
- Helps with sleep
- Changes destructive patterns, beliefs & behaviors
- Strengthens the cerebral cortex and areas of the brain related to compassion, empathy and connection
- Alters the brains grey matter in other areas of the brain including the hippocampus, showing significant improvements in memory
- Gives you the gift of daily SELF-CARE and YES, you have 5 minutes a day for yourself and your health!
The benefits of meditation are so great and many that I could not possibly list them all. I truly believe that the greatest gains you’ll enjoy from MY Practice are the gifts of Self-Care and connection. We spend most of our time and lives focusing on everyone and everything outside of ourselves to the point of self sacrifice.
Before we sit to meditate, we’ll do some yoga movements to get the blood flowing, unwind the body and start the process of transitioning our awareness to present moment. These movements are based on each individuals’ needs and abilities.
Now, take a seat and close your eyes. We travel from the outer to the inner world, then return to the physical environment in which we’re seated.
This “sixth sense” allows us to sense our body’s position without the use of sight, hearing, taste, touch, or smell. Here, we move towards embodiment.
Instead of shutting out the world, we invite the world into our meditation practice. This results in a greater ability to focus amidst the chaos.
Without changing a thing, we observe the sensations in our bodies. This allows for a deepened mind-body connection.
OBSERVE THE BREATH
Because the breath is always available, it’s the ideal “object” for meditation. We listen to the natural breath pattern, which helps us align our minds with the meditation object (the breath).
While retaining an awareness of the breath, we open up to Gratitude. A facet of positive psychology, gratitude enhances our well-being by intentionally and actively raising our personal vibration. This practice of reflection is powerful—and even if the only thing we do each day is remember what we’re grateful for, it would be enough.
ACTIVATE THE ‘OBJECT’
To accompany our journey is a mental “anchor” on which to focus.
Now begins the formal practice of meditation, where we’ll spend the majority of our time. In this phase, we pinpoint the breath with microscopic precision. We’ll feel sensations happening in the chest, at the base of the nostrils, or the back of the throat (for example). This is where we train our mind to go, at any given moment, where we want it to!
You are invited to close your practice through personal prayer, dedications or setting intentions before gently opening your eyes, inviting your outer world and inner world to meet, take a big breath, stretch and have a grounded, focused day or restful sleep.
In order for the My Practice Coaching method to be effective, a three-month commitment is required. All too often, I have seen people who want to make profound changes in their life but are unable to because they fail to make the necessary commitment. The objective is to not allow a student’s own personal needs to fall to the bottom of their priority list.
How often have you wanted to make a commitment to yourself, but didn’t because you put everything and everyone else first? Why wait until you experience a body, mind, or emotional crisis before you turn to self-care?
This program is a required 3-month commitment, not to me, but to yourself. It doesn’t work otherwise, breaking patterns of belief and creating a new habit to effectuate true change takes enormous effort. You have to really want it. It takes a minimum of 21 days to break old conditioned patterns and a minimum of 66 days create a new habit, i.e., daily meditation practice. The goal of this practice is for you have complete independence, to have a new pattern of strength, self-awareness and healing through a daily meditation practice, and to have one-off sessions only when you face a challenge that you’re not quite sure how to handle or work through.
Achieving this level of healing is not something that can happen through the occasional meditation/yoga workshop, or even through a once a week or bi-weekly therapist session, but through a partnership and accountability.
- Initial 90-minute assessment (preferably conducted in person). We’ll discuss your unique path and create the first set of achievable goals.
- 24, one-hour sessions conducted remotely or in-person. Sessions happen twice per week and involve course adjustments (as needed).
- Access to online content for six months, which will include guided meditations to help you stay on track.
- Final, 90-minute debrief and integration mapping. This is an opportunity to reflect, share feedback, and establish tools to maintain your daily practice.
This class is appropriate for all levels of students, as it’s guided with functional, sensation based cues allowing for individual adaption.
MY Practice 1-hour class is designed to be led in studio. The first 20 minutes of the class guides you through a physical practice touching on all 5 functions of yoga asana (physical postures), including yin postures and a moment of “playing the edges”*. From there we move into a pranayama (breathing) practice, and then journey through 6 stages into a deeply connected meditation practice.
*adapted from the classic and essential Yoga Journal Article by Joel Kramer, “Yoga as Self-Transformation”.
These power-packed intensives are for curious groups who are interested in exploring and deepening self-development and growth. Each program covers MY Practice basics and includes guided practices. Appropriate for any practitioner, irrespective of experience level.
- Basic teaching of MY Practice: what is it, what are the stages, and why does it work?
- 1 hour guided MY Practice class
- Q&A conversation and debrief
- Elective options include Radical Forgiveness, Empathic Communication, Mindful Manifesting, and Compassionate Self-Study
- Focused teaching of MY Practice Method basics: what is it, detailed breakdown of each of the 7 stages, and why it works
- Structured conversation that might address any one of these topics: MY Practice deep dive honing in on each of the seven steps, and weaving in an elective of your choice: Radical Forgiveness, Empathic Communication, Mindful Manifesting or Compassionate Self-Study
- One-hour guided meditation
- Q&A conversation and debrief
- Focused teaching of MY Practice Method basics: what is it and why does it work
- In-depth breakdown and practice of each stage of the MY Practice Method
- An added elective, which can address any one of these signature topics: Radical Forgiveness, Empathic Communication, Mindful Manifesting or Compassionate Self-Study
- One-hour guided meditation
- Multiple Q&A conversations
- 45-minute lunch and 15-minute break scheduled (restroom and self-care breaks are welcome, as this is an adult learning environment)
(Please contact us for corporate rate)